Skip to main content Skip to navigation


Frequently Asked Questions

  • Where do I go to get a CougarCard?

    Cards are produced on several WSU campuses:

    In Everett, CougarCards are printed in room 236 of the WSU-Everett building.  The phone number there is (425) 405-1600, and you can reach the Everett CougarCard office by email at

    In Pullman, the CougarCard office is located in room G60 of the Compton Union Building (CUB).  The phone number there is (509) 335-2273, and you can reach the Pullman CougarCard office by email at

    In Spokane, CougarCards are printed in the Student Affairs office, located in room 130 of the Academic Center.  The phone number there is (509) 358-7978, and you can reach the Spokane CougarCard office at

    In Tri-Cities, CougarCard photos are taken at Student Services, located at 2710 Crimson Way,  Richland, WA.  The phone number there is (509) 372-7141, and you can reach the Tri-Cities CougarCard office at

    In Vancouver, CougarCards are printed in the Cougar Center, located in the Student Services Center (VSSC).  The phone number there is (360) 546-9779, and you can reach the Vancouver CougarCard office at

  • What are the requirements for my CougarCard photo, if I want to upload one?

    The photo image you submit must be a color photo 2 x 2 inches (51mm x 51mm) scanned at least 300dpi, or a color jpeg image at least 600 x 600 pixels in size.

      Photo Guidelines
    • Use a solid neutral colored background.
    • Image of face and shoulders facing forward. Do NOT zoom in on the face. Leave space around the sides of your face and the top of your head.
    • A clear image in color without any added filters, effects, or clipart.
    • Eyes open and visible.
    • Wear prescription glasses if you normally do so.
    • Use good lighting. No filter or overexposed photos.
    • A clear, unobstructed, front view of the full head and shoulders. No hands can be touching the face or in the image.
    • Photo of the student alone in normal street attire with no hats, sunglasses, hand symbols, or pets in photo.
    • Recent (less than 6 months old).
  • How do I receive my card after I upload my photo?

    CougarCards and CougarCard MAXX cards will be printed prior to the start of the Fall 2020 semester and will be available for pickup when you arrive.

    For folks who will be living in the residence halls in Fall 2020 including incoming Sorority members, CougarCard Center staff will be present near your residence hall from 9am to 5pm on move-in days to get you your card.  

    For folks who will not be living in the residence halls in Fall 2020, and for everyone after move-in days are over and the Fall 2020 semester has started, your cards will be available in the CougarCard Center located on the ground floor of the CUB building in room G60.

    Please note!  You will need your US state- or federally-issued picture ID, or your current passport in order to pick up your CougarCard! 

    Please contact us at or (509) 335-2273 if you have any questions!

  • What documentation will I need to provide in order to pick up my CougarCard?

    You will need photo ID in order to pick up your CougarCard.  Acceptable photo IDs are:

    • a photo ID issued by a US state or protectorate, such as a drivers license or state ID card.
    • a photo ID issued by the United States federal government such as a military ID card.
    • a current passport.


  • What should I do if I lose my CougarCard?

    If you lose your card, you can deactivate it to prevent anyone else from using it until you find it or replace it.  You can deactivate your lost card online.  Alternatively, if you have the GET app on your phone, you can deactivate it that way.  If all else fails you can contact the card office by sending an email to or calling (509) 335-2273 and requesting your that your card be deactivated.

    If your CougarCard has been activated as your U. S. Bank ATM/debit card, you must also notify U. S. Bank immediately at or by phone at 800-872-2657 if your card has been lost or stolen.

  • How much does it cost to replace a card?

    If you have a CougarCard MAXX with U.S. Bank, there is no charge for a replacement card.

    If you lose your standard CougarCard the replacement fee is $20.  We cannot reactivate previously lost CougarCards, but if you bring in an old card it will cost $17 for a replacement card instead of $20.

    Badge replacements are $10.

  • How do I replace my CougarCard on weekends and evenings when the CougarCard Center is closed?

    WSU students, faculty, and staff who need a replacement CougarCard when the CougarCard Center is not open can avail themselves of our new Replacement CougarCard Kiosk.  The Replacement Card Kiosk can only provide replacement CougarCards for students, faculty and staff who already have a photo on file, as it cannot take photos.  This new option is available to those who need a replacement for their lost CougarCard for athletic event access, facility access, or use in Dining Services operations whenever the CUB is open.

    The Replacement Card Kiosk is located on the ground floor of the CUB near the CougarCard office.

    The Replacement CougarCard Kiosk charges $20 for a replacement CougarCard and cannot produce Maxx cards.  The replacement charge can only be paid with Cougar CASH.

    Cash to Cougar CASH deposits can also be made using the Replacement CougarCard Kiosk.

  • How do I get a CougarCard if I'm a Global Campus student, or not near a campus that produces them?

    Global Campus students can request a CougarCard online here.

    In order to complete this online form, you will need to attach a passport-style photo of yourself and a scanned copy of a state- or federally- issued picture ID, or a passport.

     If you are not a Global Campus student, please contact the CougarCard center in Pullman for instructions specific to your situation.  Phone (509) 335-2273, or email

  • Should a student living off campus in Pullman have a CougarCard?

    Yes, students living off campus should have a CougarCard. It will allow them to take the bus for free, as well as acting as their sports pass, printing money, library privileges and if they deposit Cougar CASH on their cards they can use them at vending machines, and receive discounts at certain University owned dining locations when they purchase with Cougar CASH.

  • If I live in a residence hall with card access and I lose my CougarCard, how can I get into my room, or residence hall?

    Temporary cards are available at all residence halls with card access at the hall desk, during hall desk hours.  Students who reside in residence halls with CougarCard access to the room level on the Pullman campus can use specialized Temp Card Kiosks to provide them with a temporary card that can be used to access their room in case they lose their CougarCard.  Temp Card Kiosks are available for use 24 hours a day, and are located in the following residence halls:

    Community-Duncan Dunn

    Global Scholars Hall




  • Can I let my friends or family use my CougarCard?

    No, the CougarCard can only be used by the person whose details are on the card. The University has the right to confiscate or refuse to accept a CougarCard for any of its designed applications, if it is presented by a person other than its owner. If the CougarCard is confiscated it will be considered to have been lost or stolen and relevant fees will need to be paid for a replacement. 

  • Why can’t I reactivate my CougarCard on-line, or with the GET app if I find my CougarCard?

    Replacement cards are encoded differently than their predecessors, and only the last one made will work.  So, if you were to find a card that you had previously lost and replaced, and reactivated your account online or with the GET app, that card still would not work.  When you visit the CougarCard center in the CUB to reactivate your card we will both verify your identity and ensure that the card you have is the latest, working version.

  • Do I have to be a USBank customer in order to have a CougarCard?

    You do not need to be a U.S. Bank customer in any way to have a standard CougarCard.


    You do however need to be a U.S. Bank customer, and have a checking account with U.S. Bank, in order to get a CougarCard MAXX card.

  • What is Cougar CASH?

    Cougar CASH is a prepaid, debit account that's part of your CougarCard.  It is the convenient, cashless way to pay for products and services at many WSU campus locations.

  • What is the difference between a Resident Meal Plan and Cougar CASH?

    A Resident Meal Plan and Cougar CASH are both accounts connected with students’ CougarCard. You can have either or both Cougar CASH and a Resident Meal Plan simultaneously, and the balances are independent of each other.

    Resident Meal Plans are a service of WSU Dining Services and are usually purchased as part of your housing and dining contract.

    With a Resident Meal Plan, students receive a discount at Dining Services locations. Resident Meal Plan funds roll over to the following semester if they purchase a Resident Meal Plan for the upcoming semester, or expire at the end of the semester if they do not. Learn more about the Resident Meal Plan here.

    Cougar CASH is a voluntary debit program. You will not receive any Cougar CASH unless you deposit funds to your account. Cougar CASH does not expire and remains available from semester to semester until you spend it, graduate, or otherwise separate from WSU. You can request a refund of your Cougar CASH balance at any time.


  • How can I deposit funds into my Cougar CASH account

    There are several ways to deposit funds into your Cougar CASH account:

    • Online through the CougarCard Self Service pages
    • Through the GET app
    • In-Person at the CougarCard Center, located in CUB Room 60. Find our hours at
    • At Cash to Card machines, which are located in dining centers, and at the Replacement Card Kiosk, which is located next to the CougarCard Center.
  • What discounts are available when using Cougar CASH?


    Sales tax is not charged when you use Cougar CASH to pay for food items at Dining Services locations on campus.

    There are some non-University-owned operations located on the Pullman campus where you can use Cougar CASH. At these operations sales tax is charged on Cougar CASH just as it is on cash, debit cards, or credit cards.

  • Does Cougar CASH carry over from semester to semester? Does it ever expire?

    Cougar CASH carries forward from semester to semester for as long as you are affiliated with WSU.   A Cougar CASH refund can be requested by sending a refund request containing your name and WSU ID number via email to

    Once you graduate or otherwise don’t have an active ongoing affiliation with WSU, if you didn’t request a refund and if you don’t use your Cougar CASH for more than one year, the balance of the account will be donated in the account holder’s name to Washington State University.  See Cougar Card Rights and Responsibilities page for more details.

  • How do I use Cougar CASH if I have a CougarCard MAXX?

    On your CougarCard MAXX you have access to both your Cougar CASH account and your US Bank debit account for purchase based on the magstripe that you use for payment.  Cougar CASH is accessed by swiping the red magstripe, and your U.S. Bank debit account by swiping the dark magstripe.  These accounts are separate, and so you can have a $0.00 balance in your Cougar CASH account and still use your U.S. Bank account.

    Please note that Cougar CASH accounts are debit accounts and have a $0 balance until funds are deposited in your Cougar CASH account. If no funds are added to the Cougar CASH account, and Cougar CASH is indicated as the payment method, transactions will be declined.

  • If get a CougarCard MAXX card, will I be able to use it to make credit card transactions?

    No.  When you have a CougarCard MAXX your card will have both access to your Cougar CASH account and your US Bank debit account based on the magstripe that you use for payment.  Both of these accounts are debit accounts.

    There is no line of credit available through either the CougarCard MAXX or standard CougarCard.

  • Where will I be able to use my CougarCard to make purchases?

    You can use your CougarCard to make PIN-based point of sale purchases at more than 1.4 million Interlink point-of-sale locations in the United States. If you choose to upgrade to the CougarCard Maxx, you can also use your card for purchases anywhere Visa debit cards are accepted worldwide.

  • With what bank does the CougarCard Center have a banking relationship?

    The CougarCard Center developed a relationship with U.S. Bank to provide enhanced banking services for the students, faculty and staff of WSU.

  • Why did the CougarCard Center enter into a relationship with U.S. Bank?

    The leaders of the WSU student government observed similar programs at other universities and requested the CougarCard Center develop such a program for the students of WSU. Once the CougarCard Center and Business Services researched the enhanced services available to WSU students through a banking relationship it was decided to pursue this option.

  • How was U.S. Bank selected to participate in this new banking relationship with the CougarCard Center?

    The CougarCard Center in Partnership with Business Services issued a Request for Proposal (RFP) with the intent to select a bank to provide enhanced banking services for WSU students, faculty and staff wishing to link a bank account to their CougarCard. U.S. Bank was selected to provide these banking services as a result of this formal bid process.
    Leaders of the undergraduate and graduate WSU student government and staff from Business Services, Purchasing, the CougarCard Center, Information Technology Services, Administrative Services and the Regional Campuses participated in the RFP selection process.

  • Are students, faculty or staff required to open a U.S. Bank account in order to obtain a CougarCard?

    No.  Students, staff and faculty members may elect to open a U.S. Bank account and link it to their CougarCard, but are not required to do so.

  • Can I link a checking account from any bank other than U.S. Bank to my CougarCard?

    No, only a U.S. Bank account can be linked to your CougarCard.

  • If I elect to link my U.S. Bank account to my CougarCard, what additional services do I receive?

    You will be able to use your CougarCard to make ATM transactions and Interlink PIN-based point-of-sale purchases with your CougarCard after it is linked to your U.S. Bank checking account. You can also upgrade to the CougarCard Maxx and use your card for purchases anywhere Visa® debit cards are accepted worldwide.

    In addition, U.S. Bank offers financial literacy education tailored to University students, to everyone, free of charge. Visit the U.S. Bank Financial IQ site to learn more.

    Financial IQ Student Center

  • Why would I want to upgrade to the CougarCard Maxx?

    The CougarCard is the official identification card of Washington State University. Most students carry their CougarCard at all times. By upgrading to the CougarCard Maxx, you have the convenience of two cards in one; your offcial university identification and a Visa branded check card that is more widely accepted around the world.

  • Does this mean I won’t need Cougar CASH to make purchases at on and off-campus locations?

    No, you will still find Cougar CASH to be a beneficial tool. Some on-campus locations do not accept bank debit card point-of-sale purchases. Cougar CASH is the only legal tender accepted for some services such as copying and printing in the WSU Pullman libraries.

  • What do I need to do if I lose my CougarCard and it is linked to my U.S. Bank account?

    The CougarCard holder is responsible for immediately reporting lost or stolen cards to the CougarCard Center at 509-335-2273 or at If your CougarCard has been activated as your U.S. Bank ATM/debit card, you must also notify U.S. Bank immediately at or by phone at 800-872-2657 if your card has been lost or stolen.

    Once you have replaced your CougarCard you will need to visit a U.S. Bank branch to re-link your new CougarCard to your U.S. Bank account.

  • What is the financial liability of the cardholder if a U.S. Bank linked CougarCard is used fraudulently or used by someone other than the cardholder before it is reported lost or stolen?

    If a customer experiences fraud or theft of a U.S. Bank linked CougarCard which results in loss of funds, the cardholder must report the suspected fraud to U.S. bank within 60 days of the transaction in question. U.S. Bank will investigate the claim and if U.S. Bank is able to confirm the customer was a victim of fraud than the loss will be covered by U.S. Bank.

    Please call 800-872-2657 or contact your nearest U.S. Bank branch to report suspected fraudulent transactions.

  • What special features does the U.S. Bank checking account offered through the CougarCard Center banking relationship offer?

    U.S. Bank offers WSU students, faculty and staff an array of services to make it easy for you to manage your money.

  • How do I get the GET app?

    Use the GET app to order food online and manage your Cougar CASH and Resident Meal Plan accounts using your smartphone. 

    For Apple / IOS users:
    Apple Store


    For Android users:
    Google Play

    You can also access some features of GET using most popular web browsers:

    Order Using Website


  • Is the CougarCard MAXX card a credit card?

    No.  The CougarCard MAXX card is a Visa-branded debit card, meaning you can only use it to spend funds that you already have on deposit in the linked U.S. Bank checking account.  There is no line of credit or other debt-based financing available via the CougarCard MAXX card.

  • Can I request a MAXX card online?

    Yes.  Requests for CougarCard MAXX cards are currently initiated by opening a U.S. Bank checking account via this link,.  If you already have a U.S. Bank account, please use your WSU email account to email us at and let us know your preferred contact information, and our U.S. Bank partners will contact you to make the necessary arrangements.

  • I am the parent or guardian of a WSU Student, and have a question about my student's account

    Washington State University is bound by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which generally prohibits the sharing of student information without that student's prior approval, even with parents and guardians.

    Your student can review and edit their FERPA authorizations on  Once you have logged in there, under Profile, select "Third Party Access" from the left-hand menu.



  • How do I sign up for payroll deduction deposits to Cougar CASH?

    Payroll deductions to Cougar CASH are set up as voluntary deductions in Workday.  Abbreviated instructions are shown below.  Full instructions can be found here.


    Skip to end of metadata
    Go to start of metadata

    Workday Payroll Guide: Sign up for Voluntary Deductions


    This Reference Guide provides information on how to si gn up, edit, or delete (end) a voluntary deduction in the Workday system.
    Note: The only deductions available to sign up for voluntary deductions at this time are CougarCash and the Graduate Fee deduction.


    • Employee as Self


    • N/A

    Steps to Sign up for Voluntary Deductions

    Execute the following steps to sign up for voluntary deductions in the Workday system:

    1. Log in to the Workday system.
    2. Select the Pay application on the Home page.

          3. In the View/Update Elections section, select the Voluntary Deductions option.

          4. On the Voluntary Deductions page, select the Add button to sign up for new voluntary deductions.

          5. In the Add Voluntary Deductions select, select the voluntary deduction to sign up for in the Deduction field.

          6. Complete the required fields including Frequency, Start Date, End Date, Type and Value.

          7. Select the OK button.

    Note: End Date is optional for an ongoing voluntary deduction. If End Date is populated, then that is the last period for which the deduction will be taken.

          8. Review the voluntary deduction information you entered.

          9. Select the Done button.